Skip to main content

Coming back from Florida

(wrote on 1/3/07)

Wow, 2007.

As I write this I’m heading home from five days in Florida. Last Friday I returnedhome to preside over a funeral for a very close family friend, Fred Sielkop. Fred was a kind, gentle man who was my father’s closest friend and ministry partner for over 30 years. They first met in the renewal movement called ‘Catholic Charismatic’ when there was an openness to the Holy Spirit that grew in the Catholic church. Fred and my father served together in and out of the Catholic church since the early 1970’s. Our families grew close over the years. I have many memories of the Seilkop family and their old house on New York avenue in Deland.

The time went well. My dad, being ‘old school’ isn’t showing much emotion - there is simply a anxiousness and restlessness that I can see in him (even more than ususal - no one would classify the Liotti’s as relaxed!)



Being at home is always bittersweet. I love seeing my family and especially my sister and her kids. It was also good to spend some time with Karen Keller. I’ve known Karen since I was 15. Her and her husband Evan work for
Intervarsity Central Florida. She’s a great friend and I’m proud of what they are doing. The picture is of her and my sister. My sister Kelli and her husband are on staff at Christ Community Church in Daytona Beach, FL. Saul serves as the assistant to the senior pastor.


However, every time I go to Florida and especially to Deland I’m thankful for living on the west coast. Deland is a somewhat backwater southern town. It has grown much since I left for the last time in 1990, and people like my folks love it there. I don’t know - maybe too many memories. Visiting is good, but I’m not sure if I could live there again.

So - the passage into 2007 was a somewhat adkward one this year. I missed being with Melissa. My parents made the best of it - but everything had a somewhat grey tone.

At home, things have been going a little nuts. Before Christmas a young Tongan man was shot by a police officer. The cop wasn’t one from EPA - but an officer from an outside town that responded to a robbery in EPA. Our local force is small - so we regularly receive help from outside.

Essentially, as a result, the Pacific Islander community is in turmoil. Many are angered by the shooting and the tension has intensified a fued between the Tongans and Somoans. Another young woman was shot last weekend pushing our homicide rate up to 7 for 2006. Please pray for our city.

So… 2007!!... I’m interested to see what is in store for us this year. Many things with the credit union project are still in formation. We’ve come very far, we have very far to go. We also hope to kick off a youth program in the Spring. I’m in the process of recruiting a person to help with administration and to manage the youth programs. I'm excited about what's ahead, but happy to be turning another page.

Peace and blessings to you in this new year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YWAMers Praised for Faith and Leadership

The Denver Post reports on the memorial service at the Denver YWAM base: "We're going to celebrate a life, we're not accentuating a death," said Faith Bible Chapel pastor George Morrison, in opening a memorial service today for two people killed at a missionary training school in Arvada . The service is called "A Celebration of Life for Tiffany and Philip." Philip Crouse and Tiffany Johnson died Sunday when a gunman opened fire at the school's dormitory. Youth With a Mission director Peter Warren said today both Crouse and Johnson embodied the spirit of the group. First the service focused on Crouse . "Phil gave his life to Jesus Christ and was never the same again," said Zach, a friend of Johnson's who met him years ago at a youth ministry in Alaska. At the time, Crouse was tough and wouldn't let people get close to him. "Over the years, Phil became a humble, teachable, sweet guy" who was able to reach kids with rough e

PageMill, Wells Fargo and Sam Zell

Dear Friends,  Normal.dotm 0 0 1 888 5066 Northern California Urban Development 42 10 6221 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false As many of you know we've been in discussion recently with Wells Fargo and Equity Residential, the proposed buyers of the former Pagemill Properties on the west side of East Palo Alto.  As an East Palo Alto resident and leader I view this issue, and how Wells Fargo handles this important portfolio as a milestone event for our community and it’s residents. First, a little background (from my perspective):  A few years ago over 80% of East Palo Alto's multi family housing stock was purchased piece by piece by a predator equity group, Pagemill Properties. After the purchase Pagemill began systematically dismantling our rent control ordinances and aggressively evicting working class families. The community was in shock. However, the Pagemill group went bankrupt in 2009 and lost the property to Wachovia, soon to be

Untitled

Posted via email from JOHN's posterous