Skip to main content

Coming back from Florida

(wrote on 1/3/07)

Wow, 2007.

As I write this I’m heading home from five days in Florida. Last Friday I returnedhome to preside over a funeral for a very close family friend, Fred Sielkop. Fred was a kind, gentle man who was my father’s closest friend and ministry partner for over 30 years. They first met in the renewal movement called ‘Catholic Charismatic’ when there was an openness to the Holy Spirit that grew in the Catholic church. Fred and my father served together in and out of the Catholic church since the early 1970’s. Our families grew close over the years. I have many memories of the Seilkop family and their old house on New York avenue in Deland.

The time went well. My dad, being ‘old school’ isn’t showing much emotion - there is simply a anxiousness and restlessness that I can see in him (even more than ususal - no one would classify the Liotti’s as relaxed!)



Being at home is always bittersweet. I love seeing my family and especially my sister and her kids. It was also good to spend some time with Karen Keller. I’ve known Karen since I was 15. Her and her husband Evan work for
Intervarsity Central Florida. She’s a great friend and I’m proud of what they are doing. The picture is of her and my sister. My sister Kelli and her husband are on staff at Christ Community Church in Daytona Beach, FL. Saul serves as the assistant to the senior pastor.


However, every time I go to Florida and especially to Deland I’m thankful for living on the west coast. Deland is a somewhat backwater southern town. It has grown much since I left for the last time in 1990, and people like my folks love it there. I don’t know - maybe too many memories. Visiting is good, but I’m not sure if I could live there again.

So - the passage into 2007 was a somewhat adkward one this year. I missed being with Melissa. My parents made the best of it - but everything had a somewhat grey tone.

At home, things have been going a little nuts. Before Christmas a young Tongan man was shot by a police officer. The cop wasn’t one from EPA - but an officer from an outside town that responded to a robbery in EPA. Our local force is small - so we regularly receive help from outside.

Essentially, as a result, the Pacific Islander community is in turmoil. Many are angered by the shooting and the tension has intensified a fued between the Tongans and Somoans. Another young woman was shot last weekend pushing our homicide rate up to 7 for 2006. Please pray for our city.

So… 2007!!... I’m interested to see what is in store for us this year. Many things with the credit union project are still in formation. We’ve come very far, we have very far to go. We also hope to kick off a youth program in the Spring. I’m in the process of recruiting a person to help with administration and to manage the youth programs. I'm excited about what's ahead, but happy to be turning another page.

Peace and blessings to you in this new year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Profit Payday Loans?

Here's a recent New York Times article sent to me from Katie at NCHM on payday lending. I know that the NCUD / CTCU-EPA partnership is going to have to create the right program addressing the needs for short term lending for low income families. We don't have the answers yet, but it's definitely on our radar. APPLETON, Wis. — This city of 70,000 has five McDonald’s franchises, three Pizza Huts, four Starbucks shops — and 19 payday loan stores, brightly lighted storefronts with names like EZ Money and Check Into Cash that offer two-week loans without credit checks. Peggy Truckey, 53, knows the allure. Last year she owed nearly $1,300 to four of those stores, and was paying about $600 a month in finance fees alone. “I thought I was going to have to take a second job just to pay off the interest,” Ms. Truckey said. Then she heard about a new nonprofit program operated out of a Goodwill thrift store, one of several hundred lower-cost payday loan products that are now bein...

PageMill, Wells Fargo and Sam Zell

Dear Friends,  Normal.dotm 0 0 1 888 5066 Northern California Urban Development 42 10 6221 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false As many of you know we've been in discussion recently with Wells Fargo and Equity Residential, the proposed buyers of the former Pagemill Properties on the west side of East Palo Alto.  As an East Palo Alto resident and leader I view this issue, and how Wells Fargo handles this important portfolio as a milestone event for our community and it’s residents. First, a little background (from my perspective):  A few years ago over 80% of East Palo Alto's multi family housing stock was purchased piece by piece by a predator equity group, Pagemill Properties. After the purchase Pagemill began systematically dismantling our rent control ordinances and aggressively evicting working class families. The community was in shock. However, the Pagemill group went bankrupt in 2009 and lost the property to Wachovia,...

Missing My Brother

Our beloved friend, lifetime servant of Christ, pastor, respected 'urban' leader and Sam's adopted uncle Max Torres passed last night after a fatal motorcycle accident. Max has been a close friend of mine for well over a decade. I've had lots of wonderful memories flooding back from my times with Max including a retreat on Lake Meade in the 90's, a visit to the White House in the Clinton days and many laughs during his season serving in East Palo Alto with  Bayshore Christian Ministries. One of the picures I posted was from a summer intern retreat where he was the speaker. My thoughts are prayers are with Dalia and their sons. Max, well done - a life well lived. You are missed... Every day is a gift. I'll post more information as I become aware.